I’m using Notepad++, version 7.8.5 64bit on Windows 10. I’d like to use it as a Hex Editor.
I open a binfile, but Notepad shows it to me as a text with strange characters. In order to visualize the Hex-numbers, I select a part of the text, go and click on the voice
and it shows me the hex-numbers of the selected part. Now I’d like to see the whole file in hex, but it doesn’t work. It seems that selecting some parts it works, other parts it doesn’t.
I need to convert or visualize the whole file in HEX.
I have also tried:
but the HEX-Editor isn’t there.
Thanks 4 help
Please note – the installation has been adapted for 64 bit in the meantime.
- Please update to e.g. Notepad++ 8.1.9 (64-bit)
- Go to the menu Plugins > Plugins Admin
- Enter Hex in the search field.
- Select Hex-Editor and press Ã¬nstall.
It seems to me you tried to install a hex editor and ended up in the wrong tool (Plug-In)
Converter (ASCII -> HEX) as mentioned in your question above.
The installation process of the HexEditor is somewhat confusing because it is currently available only in the
Plugins Admin for the 32-bit version.
A simple solution is to install a Notepad++ x32 version on a USB stick (e.g. using PortableApps).
- unzip the appropriate downloaded zipfile and open that containing folder (or have the zipfile open in windows explorer)
- In Notepad++, use Plugins > Open Plugins Folder.
- In the newly-opened plugins folder, add a subfolder HexEditor.
- Copy the
HexEditor.dllfrom the zipfile into the HexEditor subfolderâ€¦ so it should be at
- Close all open windows of Notepad++.
- Restart Notepad++ again.
- HexEditor should be available in the Plugins menu, and HexEditor.dll should be listed in the ? > Debug Info plugins list.
Successfully tested by Notepad++ Version 7.8.5 64bit on Windows 10. For further information see the links above. Please note a UAC problem, i.e. run Notepad++ as Administrator.